Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Hunting



When I was very young, I thought it was “mean” to kill an animal. I wasn’t a tree hugger, and I did believe that in self defense it would probably be OK to kill an animal, but I thought it wasn’t “fair” to the animal. I adopted this mindset by watching a few movies like Disney’s Bambi, which portrays the hunter as the evil antagonist. Don’t think movies like this affect us? Consider the following statistic: The year following the release of Bambi, hunters spent barely over half the dollar amount they had spent the previous year – before Bambi had made his debut in the “mean, cruel forests of America.”
Benjamin and I participated in a Hunter’s Education Class. Through this teaching I learned that if we didn’t hunt deer, they would overpopulate to dangerous numbers! Many deer that weren’t hunted would die to disease or starvation – due to overpopulation. These facts changed my whole mindset about hunting in general.
More importantly, I’ve also learned how God told man to take dominion over the earth. This may include hunting and protecting endangered species.
J. Andrew

1 comment:

Jeremy T said...

I liked your explanation on hunting. Uncle Jeremy