Friday, March 18, 2011

Dancing!

Believe it or not, we just returned from a dancing class!  The reason why we’re taking these classes is that after this year’s CHEF Conference there’ll be a Civil War Ball, so CHEF organized these dancing classes.  Most of these dances are English Country dances or line dances, where the entire community is involved.

My brothers and I would’ve looked forward to this event with great dread, however Mom didn’t even tell us she had signed us up for the class and we still didn’t know what we were going to do until Mom pulled into the parking lot of the church where the class was being held.

There was a good turnout of about 75-100 people from the age of 5 to 65, there was a good mix of different ages that really made the night fun.  Mr. Ramsey, the instructor explained to us that dancing helps create a balance of the body and coordination of the feet with the rest of the body, in light of our recent foot-related accidents, dancing may be just what the doctor recommended!  Benjamin was joking with us later at home, he said that maybe when he was with a trapping buddy skinning a beaver he’d say, (in an English accent of course) “Oh dear, look at the time! I must go and attend one of the dancing classes we have every fortnight!”

Despite my presentiments I had a blast and am looking forward to the next 7 classes before the conference!  All my brothers had to admit it ended up being a lot better than we’d expected at first.  I suppose that with a name like the Gallantry Training Center we should’ve welcomed some instruction in culture more warmly.

I’ll try to snap a few photos during our next class!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Too funny! Your Mom didn't think y'all would fall for shoot-dancing or would that be dance-shooting?

Unknown said...

Haha, I guess she didn't. She said later that she didn't want us to feel as aprehensive as she had been feeling. My brothers and I had had ZERO experience up until that night. However, we had a lot of fun, especially when we enteredexpecting the worst.