Friday, September 23, 2011

Dancing Videos-Sep 23

   We had another great dance last Friday and you’ll find videos of most of the dances we did below.  The dances were called by Jeremy Suerman and these dances are organized by Christian Home Educator’s Fellowship of Missouri.  Thanks to Leah for the names of a couple of these dances. 
Progressive Gordon

This is a great simple dance that’ll break the ice and get you warmed up for the rest of the night.
Virginia Reel(s )


A fast paced-favorite that we did twice.  It may also be called the Violent Virginia Reel-if you watch the little boy with the cowboy hat on you’ll see what I mean.

Jefferson & Liberty


A dance that our family learned a couple of weeks ago and look’s pretty neat on video-especially if it was on top.  I thought that the lefts-and-rights of the long ways dances looked appealing to the eye as an organized chaos.

Patty Cake Polka

Heel, toe, heel toe…just a lot of fun…

Circassian Circle

One of our family’s favorites. Keep an eye out for the two guys who chest bump when they meet in the middle of the circle.
Hull’s Victory

A commemorative dance for Issac Hull’s victory in the battle between the U.S.S. Constitution (see photo) and the H.M.S. Guerriere.  One of my favorite dances because there is non-stop movement for the #1 couples.   My Mom and I danced together in this dance and as soon as we had reached the end of the line and were about to become #2 couples the music ended.  That suited me well because I hate being a #2 couple, I always want to be #1…wait, that didn’t sound right.
The footage is cut in the middle because my camcorder’s battery died.
IMG_0282IMG_0347
USS Constitution in Boston Harbor 4/10                    Standing by the ship’s bell              

5 comments:

Leah Mays said...

Hello, Oh I love it when you post these video's! =D
And the circle dance that you didn't know the name of is the Circassian Circle!
See you next time!

Leah Mays said...

Oh, and the first video, the name of that dance is the Progressive Gordon. =D

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting a comment Leah and for letting me know the names of the dances. The other night we were just talking about how new to dancing we are compared to a few of the other families at the dance. Friday night was our tenth dance.
We're all looking forward to our next get together!
Andrew

Meghan Rebecca said...

Thank you for posting these!!!! I LOVE watching dancing vidios just as much as I do dancing!!!!!!!!! =D
Love, Meghan

P.S. Sorry I stood in front of the camera so much at the begining of Hull's Victory! :O I didn't notice that it was there!!!!

Peter Bringe said...

It's great to see the dancing. I recognize quite a few of y'all.

The Progressive Gordon is originally called the "Gay Gordon" and comes from a Scottish Country Dance, but due to the change in our language I have heard it called Progressive Gordon, the Jolly Rodger, and several others I am not remembering at the moment. Jefferson & Liberty originally was called something else, but around 1800 the tune that it is used with got words put to it as a campaign song for Thomas Jefferson,

The gloomy night before us lies,
The reign of terror now is o'er;
Its gags, inquisitors and spies,
Its hordes of harpies are no more
Rejoice, Columbia's sons, rejoice
To tyrants never bend the knee
But join with heart, and soul and voice
For Jefferson and Liberty...

Thanks for the videos,

-Peter Bringe
Deo Vindice