Saturday, October 10, 2015

A Camp Out and the Shut Ins

October 10, 2015 - We went on a camping trip with friends over the weekend, and after a great evening spent talking and singing around the campfire, we woke up the next morning.  

Well, actually I'm not sure if I ever woke up, but that's beside the point.


Wow, look at these three happy people!  Looks like they slept well.

After some breakfast and talk around the campfire we headed to Johnson Shut Ins:



So, what is a "shut in?" 
I'm so glad that you asked.

shut-in
The term "shut-in" refers to a place where the river's breadth is limited by hard rock that is resistant to erosion. In these shut-ins, the river cascades in many rivulets over and around igneous rocks worn smooth over time.
Thanks, wikipedia.

I always want to make sure that you learn something from these blog posts. 

From the meaning of "spurious" to why people would want to wear a kilt to the difference between inertia and centrifugal force, you're mental horizons will always be challenged to broaden here at GTC. ;)

Okay, you know what a shut-in is, and I'll shut-↑ and we'll continue...








Where's Waldo?

(it may be easier to find him in the full size image)





Those days went you get stuck between a rock and a hard place





Those are some pretty epic surroundings


Ah, so Matthew's pointing again


These little guys were quite the climbers - you really don't want to know how high up this rock was!




Trudging back to the car sopping wet


Shh...I totally stole this group photo from the Niednagels

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I feel so much smarter now knowing the proper definition of a shut-in... we were actually talking about that and wondering why it was called such :-)

Can't believe how Philip looks like Henry in one of the pictures and that "Where's Waldo" picture made me laugh... especially when I saw you were serious!! :-D

Such great pictures and memories!! I'm glad you guys were able to join us!

Gabrielle said...

WHOA, that looks AMAZING!! I need to go there and just spend hours on those cool rocks!! They're gorgeous!!!